There are three classes in the com/halepringle/standord folder that show how to get a progress monitor to work.
If you run ProgressMonitorDemo. It will include ProgressMonitorInc and show how to get a progress monitor to appear was ProgressMonitorWork.java does a simulated intense task.
It involves about five steps and these are documented in the code.
1. Declare two variable PM and pmInc for a ProgressMonitor and of the ProgressMonitorInc class.
2. Instantiate a ProgressMonitor and the ProgressMonitorInc file
3. Run your task in a thread that you call with RunThread (not the SwingUtilities Runnable class).
4. Place calls to pmInc.update(percent_done, "Message about what we are doing") in your task.
5. If the call to pmInc returns a false the user has pressed the cancel button and you should place code in your task to shut down.
6. Close things down.